Friday, June 19, 2009

Ta-da!!


Matthew's umbilical cord stump fell off last night - it's an inny! I have had him in a diaper and t-shirt this whole time because that is supposed to help it dry and come off faster. So it took three times longer than Zachary's (18 days vs. 6 days). I noticed it was gone after I had put him on my shoulder to burp him. Lo and behold, there it was stuck to my shirt. Zachary and Daddy were thoroughly grossed out. :)

This first picture is also a good illustration of the newborn reflex known as the tonic neck reflex or "fencing" reflex. "When you lay your baby on his back and his head turns to one side he will extend his arm and leg on that side while the opposite arm and leg bend, assuming a "fencing" position." There are several different reflexes they have when they are born - I think it is so interesting!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at those fat little legs. Matt really has filled out in 2 weeks. Love you, GM

Olivia said...

very interesting about the fencing reflex. never heard of that one.